The death of a two-year-old pupil, Winnie Akakue, at Wisdom Gate International School, has sparked widespread outrage, with the family alleging a cover-up and demanding a thorough investigation.
The incident, which occurred on March 17, 2026, at the school’s Campus 1 in Eligbolo, Rivers State, has continued to generate reactions from stakeholders, including legal practitioners and education authorities.
Winnie’s father, Iasuaka Akakue, said the school informed the family that the child was asleep in her classroom when a bookshelf reportedly fell on her.
He disclosed that a preliminary briefing from the pathologist indicated that the toddler suffered a fractured skull.
The grieving father, however, raised concerns over the circumstances surrounding the incident, alleging that the school delayed notifying the family until after the child had been taken to two medical facilities.
He said doctors at the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital confirmed that the child was brought in dead.
Akakue further alleged that the scene of the incident was altered before any independent assessment could be carried out, claiming that the bookshelf involved was moved and the area cleaned.
He also accused some individuals of attempting to pressure the family into accepting a quick burial and out-of-court settlement.
According to him, the family has resolved to seek justice through legal means, expressing dissatisfaction with what he described as the handling of the case by the police.
He added that attempts to obtain the autopsy report had been unsuccessful, despite assurances from authorities that the family would be contacted once it was ready.
The child’s mother, Chinyere Akakue, recounted receiving conflicting information from the school, noting that she was initially told her daughter was alive.
She said she later arrived at the premises to find the child lifeless, a development she described as devastating.
The grieving mother said the loss has left the family traumatised, particularly the deceased’s siblings, who have struggled to come to terms with the incident.
A legal practitioner, Chetam Nwala, called for decisive action, urging authorities to shut down the school pending the outcome of investigations.
He also stressed the need for a transparent and diligent probe into the circumstances surrounding the death.
In its response, the management of the school expressed sorrow over the incident and extended condolences to the bereaved family.
The school stated that immediate efforts were made to secure medical attention for the child and that the matter was promptly reported to relevant authorities.
It maintained that it had been cooperating fully with investigators and had not withheld any information.
Following the incident, the Rivers State Government ordered the closure of the school.
The Commissioner for Education, Peters Nwagor, said the action was taken after a review of the circumstances surrounding the incident, adding that the school would remain shut pending the outcome of investigations.
He assured the public of the government’s commitment to enforcing safety standards in schools across the state.
However, the school’s proprietress, Toyon Obikoya, appealed for a reconsideration of the closure, citing its impact on pupils, parents and staff.
She said the management had made efforts to reach out to the bereaved family through appropriate channels, including community and religious leaders.
Some parents also expressed concern over the prolonged shutdown, noting that it had disrupted academic activities and placed additional burdens on families.
As investigations continue, the family insists on full accountability, while authorities maintain that due process will be followed to establish the facts surrounding the tragic incident.
0 Comments