Mob lynches 30-year-old man accused of stealing

A 30-year-old man, Sunday Pada, has been killed by a mob in Minna, Niger State, after he was accused of stealing.

Pada was reportedly attacked on August 10 in the Korokpan area of the state capital after an alarm was raised accusing him of being a thief.

The Niger State Police Public Relations Officer, Wasiu Abiodun, disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday, saying four suspects had been arrested over the incident.

According to the police, officers attached to the Paiko Division were alerted and rushed to the area, but the attackers had escaped before their arrival. Pada was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Abiodun said three suspects were subsequently traced to the custody of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency following a raid in the area and were handed over to the police. Another suspect was later apprehended.

The suspects were identified as Ibrahim Abubakar, Aliyu Onah, Godwin Musa and Aminu Bawa, all said to be residents of Korokpan.

The police spokesman said preliminary investigation indicated that Pada was returning from a friend’s residence when he was intercepted after someone raised an alarm that he was a thief.

“During the attack, the deceased was severely beaten before he was eventually stabbed to death,” Abiodun stated.

He said the four suspects had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department in Minna for investigation into alleged conspiracy and culpable homicide.

Meanwhile, the police announced the recovery of an AK-47 rifle and ammunition from a suspected bandits’ route around Krusha-Genu village in Rijau Local Government Area.

Abiodun said the weapon was recovered on August 15 following credible intelligence, adding that the items included an AK-47 rifle, 19 rounds of live ammunition, an empty magazine and 55 rounds of GPMG anti-aircraft ammunition.

In another operation, three suspects were arrested for allegedly stealing goats and other livestock around Gidan-Kwano, with animal skins suspected to have been stolen recovered from a tinted Volkswagen vehicle.

The command also arrested four suspects over an alleged fraudulent online investment scheme after a man from Kano was reportedly lured to Minna with a fake job offer.

The victim was allegedly taken to a residence in the Farm Centre area and pressured into transferring N200,000 for an investment despite insisting that he had travelled to Minna for employment.

The police said he escaped after allegedly being assaulted when he refused to make another N200,000 payment, and was later intercepted by officers who took his statement.

Abiodun further disclosed that suspects were arrested in separate cases involving the alleged theft of goods from trucks along the Mokwa-Jebba road, while six others were apprehended over the alleged theft of truck spare parts worth N600,000.

The command also recovered two 1,000KVA transformers allegedly stolen from the Federal Housing Estate, Tungan-Shanu, and arrested a driver and two security guards in connection with the case.

The PPRO said investigations were ongoing into all the cases, assuring that suspects found culpable would be charged to court after the completion of investigations.

0 Comments

Submit